Every month since March we’ve featured a city we think makes a great spot for a weekend getaway. This latest (and final) feature is near to our hearts, as it’s the home of our sibling company, Nau and one of our favorite places to hang out, like, ever.
If you love weekend getaways as much as we do, you should put the city of roses at the top of your list. And if you enter our Weekend Flats Instagram contest, you might just find yourself outfitted for a weekend there. All you need to do is hashtag a great photo you’ve taken of one of your favorite weekend destinations with #HTlovesweekends @hornytoadactivewear by 8/16/13. That Tuesday we’ll select the photo we like best and the winner will get a $150 Horny Toad gift card + a set of Klean Kanteen Steel tumblers!
Without further ado, here’s the scoop on what to wear and where to eat, drink and play in Portland, Oregon.
1. Our Lyra Dress, made from Portlandia-approved organic cotton, Modal® and a touch of spandex, boasts bra-friendly straps and flattering pleats at the neckline. We also put a stealthy stash pocket inside the A-line hem so your hands are free to steer your fixie.
2. Try Oprah’s favorite ice cream! Salt & Straw offers flavors like Arbequina Olive Oil (made from locally grown olives!) and Coffee + Bourbon (made with locally roasted Stumptown Coffee). Everything is organic, local, small batch and freaking delicious. It’s worth a trip to PDX just to get a scoop.
3. The Smythy men’s shirt is made from lightweight, 100% organic cotton that updates traditional plaid with space-dyed yarns that dart through the weave in unpredictable ways. Perfect for a sunny summer day in the Northwest.
4. The Lizard Lounge is our store in Portland’s Pearl District. It sells Horny Toad of course, but you’ll also find many other amazing brands there too. AND it’s a great hub for community-based art, music and coffee culture. Prepare to shop.
5. Made from a blend of debonair linen and hard-working cotton, our Sundowner Pant manages moisture, wears like iron and gets better with every wash. Add to that side pockets with a hidden snap closure and an internal drawcord at the waistband and you”ll find you won’t need a change of trousers, even if you want to take a hike before your farm-to-table lunch.
6. Love the beautiful game? Be sure to catch the Portland Timbers while you’re in town.
7. Beautiful, versatile and travel-ready, our Unveil Tank is made from 100% organic cotton. Wear it with shorts during the day and then pair it a skirt when headed to the Crystal Ballroom to catch some live music that night.
8. Whenever we’re in town we make sure to eat at at ¿Por Que No? The tacos and pomegranate margaritas are life-changing, the meat and produce is local, the tortillas are homemade and the tamales will knock your socks off. Also, they use their oil waste to fuel their biodiesel errand vehicle and compost all their food waste for potting soil that gets sold to the community.
9. Pack the Samba Wave Skirt for an all-day-and-into-the-night piece that goes with everything. It has a fluid, wave-like pattern that offers texture without the intensity of a print, and it’s made with our travel-ready, eco-loving blend of organic cotton and Tencel®. The cut is feminine and sleek while still remaining comfortable as all get-out, and the side vent works with your stride for those who wish to tour Portland by foot.
10. Keep Portland free of single-use cups! The winner of this month’s Weekend Flats Instagram contest will get a set of stylish and eco-friendly Klean Kanteen steel tumblers, good for picnics, beer gardens, juice bars, coffee carts and anywhere else one might be tempted to drink from plastic.
11. Stop and smell the roses at the Washington Park International Rose Test Garden. The rich history of this park begins with its inception in 1917 as a safe-haven for European hybrid roses that rose lovers feared would be bombed in World War I. Today it’s a world-class place to take a stroll on a summer afternoon.
12. If you’ve ever found yourself getting the blues come November, you should visit Kay Newell at Sunlan Lighting. Kay’s done extensive research on mental well-being as it relates to light (something people in Portland think A LOT about in the winter) and can hook you up with bulbs that will turn your entire experience of winter around. The rare earth element, neodymium, is embedded in the glass of these special bulbs, giving 90 percent of the light and warmth you’d get on a typical fall day. Neat.
Have stuff you want to add to this list? Tell us! And don’t forget to enter our Instagram contest by hashtaging a great photo you’ve taken of one of your favorite weekend destinations with #HTlovesweekends @hornytoadactivewear for the chance to win a $150 Horny Toad gift card and a set of Klean Kanteen steel tumblers!