Horny Toad has always been guided by the idea that things are better when we’re among friends and sharing with others. We place a high premium on keeping good company. Our employees, partners, vendors, retailers, distributors, and loyal customers make up the fabric of Horny Toad, and we’re grateful that all these people have chosen to collaborate with us.
There’s actually a word for this feeling: Hygge. Pronounced “hyoo-gah,” it’s a Danish idea that loosely means “simple, cozy, togetherness.” There’s no direct English translation, but Hygge is a celebration of the relationships and things that enrich our lives, whether that’s a great meal, a favorite sweater or your closest friends. Our design director encountered this word on an inspiration trip to Copenhagen, and after really digging into its meaning we realized we embraced hygge a long time ago. Now we have a word for it.
As we look back on the year and take stock of our friendships, we can’t help but feel a warm sense of appreciation – and hygge – for all the good in our work and our lives. We’ve been lucky enough to partner with folks who bring richness to our company and remind us that what we’re doing is so much more than making and selling clothes.
Founded on the desire to make a difference in the world beyond just making clothes, Horny Toad has partnered with socially and environmentally active companies, organizations and individuals since the beginning. As we grow, so do our partners, so every partnership is meaningful and woven into the fabric of how we do business:
• When you place an order from us, it is fulfilled by Planet Access Company. PAC is a life-skills training group with a mission to positively change the lives of adults with developmental disabilities by providing them with training and work opportunities. The PAC work crew processes 100% of Horny Toad’s inventory and every unit of Horny Toad clothing is picked, packed, and shipped with unmatched enthusiasm by the PAC crew.
• We support and participate in Search For Adventure, an adventure travel program funded by proceeds from PAC and a grant from Horny Toad that provides members of the PAC work crew trips to the great outdoors. Every year about 50 clients and a handful of Toads travel together, enjoying places like the Appalachian Trail, our seaside town of Santa Barbara and everywhere in between.
• We’re members of 1% For the Planet, meaning we donate 1% of gross sales annually to environmental and social causes that inspire us.
• We’re members of the Conservation Alliance, a consortium of Outdoor Industry companies that fund conservation projects. Every year our employees vote for which grassroots non-profit organizations receive the grants they need to protect the wilderness we all love. We also volunteer with local member company employees and local grantees for a day of environmental action through the Backyard Collective. We get out of the office and get our hands dirty doing good work to preserve and protect the open spaces in our own backyards
• We stay closely connected to our roots in Telluride, Colorado by continuing to support MountainFilm in Telluride whose annual program of films and national tour bring awareness to environmental and social issues.
• At Toad Headquarters in Santa Barbara, you’re just as likely to have a tasty Tibetan lunch made by the finance department as you are to catch an impromptu dance party from the sales team. With one big, bright, open room full of Toads and pups, our work environment feels more like a family picnic-meets-think tank than an office. From our annual Grilled Cheese Smackdown to monthly Fun Committees and regular Lunch & Learns, we think we’ve figured out this whole work-hard-play-hard balance.
• Most importantly, we want to acknowledge our customers. We hope what we do beyond making clothes is what makes you feel good about wearing the clothes we make. We value every note, comment and photo we get from you – it inspires our next move and makes us feel connected to you.
So consider yourself in good company. We’ve built Horny Toad on the foundation that the choices we make are as important as the clothes we create and we pride ourselves on being good partners in our relationships. So call it hygge, call it the holiday spirit, no matter how you say it, we appreciate you.